My place is on Long Lake in the Alpena/Presque Isle area and less than 10 miles from Lake Huron. My place is good for couples, solo adventurers, business travelers, and families (with kids). The lake is an all sports (stocked) lake with great fishing. There is a dock available (seasonal) for your use and several boat launches nearby. The area is perfect for ice fishing and snowmobiling in the winter and we are also close to state hunting land.
Our place is a cozy year-round cottage with plenty of space inside to be comfortable. We have two bedrooms upstairs (queen bed in each room). The cottage is an a-frame shape and the stairs are a bit steep, so we also have a futon on the main floor (full size, linens for futon are in cabinet under tv) along with a baby gate in the closet if you'd like to keep tiny tots away from the stairs. We have a grill outside along with a deck, fire pit and outdoor seating (seasonal). Enjoy the beautiful, relaxing views of the lake - if you're from a more populated area, you'll be surprised at how many stars you see at night! We share a driveway with our neighbor and have about 50' of lake frontage - we have a privacy fence on one side of our property line to keep our yard private from our neighbor's property and there's also a regular fence on the other side to separate our yard from the other neighbor (fence and foliage provide separation from that neighbor's yard). We also have wireless internet, a Roku for streaming television content and a DVD player available for your use - we have several DVDs in the cabinet under the tv & there is a video store in downtown Alpena as well as two RedBox locations.
Accès des voyageurs
This listing is for the entire home, the dock and and the lakefront area in front on the cottage. The dock and outdoor furniture are seasonal and are removed during cold weather months.
Échanges avec les voyageurs
We'll provide you with a welcome packet and our property manager lives next door and can provide as much (or as little) advice and attention as you need.
We have softened well water - the water is perfectly safe and has been tested, but does not taste exactly like chlorinated municipal water. We will supply bottled drinking water in the cottage. We have a shared driveway with two dedicated parking spaces for guests. We also want to point out that we do not have AC - AC is not common in northern MI and it typically cools enough at night that you don't need it. Our listing indicates no AC, but we wanted to point that out again because we've had some comments from guests from southern states who didn't notice that part of the listing and we want to manage expectations from the beginning of your experience!
We hope you enjoy your visit and don't want to be "those people" with a ton of rules, but we've learned the hard way that it's best to manage expectations on both sides from the beginning :)
In addition to no smoking and no pets, we also ask the following:
* Please clean up cigarette butts if you smoke outside
* Please clean and dispose of fish outside (NOT inside) if you go fishing (there's a garbage can on the side of the cottage)
* Our linens are not disposable and certain types of stains are impossible to remove, so please do not make jello (including jello shots), dye your hair or scrub mascara/makeup with the white bath towels during your stay (yes, they've all happened...)
* If you over-imbibe and get queasy, please aim for the toilet, it's easy
* Please do not eat or drink anything other than water in the upstairs of the cottage
* We break glasses too when we stay at the cottage - if you break something, please drop us a line so we can replace it and don't hurt ourselves with broken glass in the trash
* Please use the trash cans for trash (there are trash cans in each bedroom for kleenex, etc.)
* Spills happen, if you can clean it up, great. If you need help, please let us know so we can alert our cleaners and the stains don't set in
* Please do not place wet towels/clothes on the indoor furniture or sit on the furniture with a wet bathing suit
* Fires should be attended at all times or extinguished
* Don't jump on the bed if you weigh more than 10 pounds (5 kg)
* Please keep windows and doors closed when the furnace is on. If the cottage is too hot, please turn the thermostat down to lower the temperature.
The gist of these rules is please treat our cottage like you would want your cottage to be treated by guests. We want to keep it as a paradise!
I travel a lot for work and also like to travel for fun. We like to mix up our travel - sometimes we'll head to another country or the other side of the U.S. and other times we'll explore areas of Michigan or Canada that are driving distance from our home. Recent trips have included Nigeria, Kenya, Chile, Seychelles, France, Mexico (D.F.), Hawaii, Michigan's UP and a roadtrip through Ontario & Quebec Canada. We hope to visit more of northern Michigan, explore other Canadian provinces and get back to Europe for our next few vacations.