Cozy timber home with great deck and garden set in the Tirimoana Reserve surrounded by native bush and hills, 100m from the sea of Queen Charlotte Sound and the famous Queen Charlotte walking-track. Great place to relax and enjoy nature and the sea.
EARTHQUAKE NOTE: The house is a lockwood build home, which is the strongest and safest building type in New Zealand. No problems here :-)
UNIQUE OFFER: Contact me if you are interested in a sailing trip in the Queen Charlotte Sounds.
Lovely solid timber home with great deck overlooking the garden. A peaceful and tranquil setting in the Tirimoana Reserve with native bush, trees, stream and surrounded by green wooded hills and the sounds of the Bell Birds and Tui's. Located in New Zealand's maritime reserve "The Marlborough Sounds" in Tirimoana & Anakiwa, at the end of the Queen Charlotte Sound and just 10 minutes walk away from The Queen Charlotte Track. This is one of the most beautiful areas in one of the most beautiful countries in the world! We are sure you will enjoy the scenery & the natural feel of the accommodation. The house is 100 meters from the sea.
The accommodation includes a private bedroom with a queen bed, private deck with seating, wardrobe, heater and bedside lamps. Bedding and towels are provided. There is a private guest area shared with our other listed ROOM#2 with a lounge/dining room, bathroom & toilet and kitchenette (please see below under 'Guest Access' for more info).
The host lives in the front part of the house in a separate area with a separate entrance.
Highly recommended local activities are: Walking - especially 'The Queen Charlotte Track' just 10 minutes walk away by foot - one of the most famous New Zealand walking tracks (72km long). There is an easy-going foreshore track along the bay, mountain biking, kayaking, swimming, wind- or kite-surfing, paragliding or … best of all - come sail the Sounds with me!
An amazing variety of bird species are here all year round especially the Tui and Bellbirds with their beautiful and distinct bird song which you can hear from our garden. There are often Spoonbills, oyster catchers, herons and black swans in the bay and we sometimes see Dusky dolphins and seals in the bay too. There are usually eagle rays in the bay throughout the summer. Watch out before you dive in! We even had a humpback whale, pilot whales and Orca’s in the bay over the last few years. But they are very rare.
Fishing & diving is very good in the outer Sounds and one of the best in New Zealand and obviously snorkeling is pretty good too. There are glow-worms only 300 meters away from the house. These are good to go see during a night walk - I can show you.
THINGS TO DO:
- I can take you sailing (weather permitted) in my sailing boat which is moored here in the bay. We usually sail to 'Lochmara Lodge' in Lochmara Bay (see photo) - a small scenic waterfront resort in The Marlborough Sounds with lovely views and a great arty cafe and grounds to enjoy a coffee or drink and maybe have a swim there and meet 'Banjo' the talking parrot!
- There is swimming in the sea here near the accommodation or from the Anakiwa jetty.
- Windsurfing and kite-surfing in the bay in front of the house is excellent (depending on the sea-breeze).
- Kayaking is great to do here - The local tour company "Sea Kayak Adventures" (15 mins walk from here) rents out kayaks and mountain bikes and does organized trips from Anakiwa and other local destinations.
- Have a coffee or ice cream at the "Green Caravan Cafe" next to the 'Outward Bound' school (about 10 minutes walk along the foreshore) and watch the daily water taxi's arrive at the Anakiwa jetty to pick up the tourists that come off the Queen Charlotte Track. It’s such an amazing good holiday spot!
- Fishing, boating, water skiing and snorkeling is all great.
- There are several good walking tracks in the neighborhood in addition to The Queen Charlotte Track - The 'Cullen Loop' track is a nice scenic 1 hour walk with views over Havelock and The Sounds (about 20 mins drive away). The “Waikakaho/Cullen Creek Walkway” near Linkwater (10 mins drive away) is the old gold-miner’s track that runs through some spectacular landscapes.
- There is a para-gliding take-off from the hill behind the house that I regularly flies from. You are welcome to walk up the hill with me to see the amazing view or learn about the basics of para-gliding by having some ground control exercises (weather permitted).
- The harbor city PICTON (30 minutes drive) is always nice for a day trip with sea view cafés, restaurants, pubs, marina, gift shops, museum, aquarium, cinema, pharmacy, i-site and some good walking tracks. 'The Snout' walking track in Picton is very scenic with excellent views of the Marlborough Sounds. Picton is also the home of 'The Edwin Fox Maritime Centre' where you can see and learn about the history of the world's second oldest surviving merchant sailing ship - 'The Edwin Fox.'
- The coastal village of HAVELOCK (20 minutes drive) has a nice restaurant called "The Mussel Pot" famous and well recommended for its green lip mussels. Havelock calls itself the "mussel capital of the world". There is a marina where you'll find the pleasant waterfront cafe/restaurant 'The Slip Inn' which serves good local food. Havelock is also home to 'The Pelorus Mail Boat' which is a great way to explore the Marlborough Sounds and the 'Greenshell Mussel Cruise' to learn more about the Havelock mussel farms and enjoy freshly steamed mussels with a glass of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. There is a museum here, pharmacy, a few shops, cafes, pub and an i-site.
- LINKWATER (10 mins drive) has a pub and petrol/gas station where you can also buy basic grocery items.
- The province main city BLENHEIM is about 50km away. The main tourist attraction there are the numerous and famous wineries and vineyards and the Makana chocolate factory & shop.
- Port Underwood has a spectacular coast-line with amazing beautiful sandy beaches. Some of these are good for surfing, like Ocean-bay, Robinhood-bay or the famous and most beautiful Whitesbay near Rarangi. All just about an hour drive away from here.
- And than there is the Pelorus-Bridge Reserve, (40 mins drive away and on route to Nelson). Scenes of the movie “THE HOBBIT” were shot here. Great place to go for walks along the river and across the swing-bridge.
In fact, there are so many things to do here. Ask any New Zealander about the Marlborough Sounds … they will tell you that they just love it and they come here for their holiday.
That says it all!
Accès des voyageurs
There is a private guest area which is shared with our other listed ROOM#2 and includes: a lounge and dining area with DVD player & DVD's (no TV), books, games, tourist info/leaflets, tea and coffee making facilities, a kitchenette with an electric hob/cooktop with 2 hotplates, microwave, small oven & grill, toaster and fridge, toilet & bathroom with toiletries. The gas BBQ on the deck is also available to use where there is a lovely outside seating & dining area overlooking the garden, Tirimoana reserve, stream and wooded hills. Free WiFi internet and coffee, teas & cookies. There is also a baby/toddler's high chair if required.
The room is located next door to our other listed 'Room#2'
So it's a fully self contained guest area shared with just 1 other room (only if it is occupied) with a separate entrance and a key for your bedroom.
NOTE: Especially in low season, you may be the only guests, which means you have the place to yourself and all the facilities provide you with a fully self contained unit.
The host lives in the front part of the house in a separate area with a separate entrance.
Échanges avec les voyageurs
I like to give our guests space and privacy and let you have a peaceful and relaxing stay here but we are also happy to chat and give travel tips and local information.
Come sailing with me, or I can help organize kayaking, mountain biking, walks and other local activities.
There is parking space for cars and boat trailers in front of the accommodation. There is a boat ramp only 200 meter from here (usable at high tide only) and a boat ramp 1 KM usable at all tides (depending on the size of your boat & trailer).
Check-in is after 3PM and check out is 10AM - please let me know roughly what time you think you will arrive.
No smoking inside the house please.
Children & pets are welcome, as long as you keep them reasonably well behaved :-)
Please keep the space clean and tidy and wash-up after cooking and we would be grateful if guests would kindly keep their opened food in the plastic storage containers provided, in order not to attract insects.
If there are guests departing or arriving in my other listed room#2, we may need to do some light cleaning in the shared guest area and we usually try to clean the bins regularly. But we'll try not to disturb you too much during your stay!
Most importantly - we just want you to have a great and relaxing time here! :-)
Si vous annulez jusqu'à 5 jours avant le voyage, vous recevez un remboursement intégral. En cas d'annulation au cours des 5 jours précédant le voyage, la première nuit est non remboursable, mais vous recevrez un remboursement à hauteur de 50 % du coût des nuits restantes.
Cet hôte a 102 commentaires pour d'autres propriétés.Voir d'autres commentaires
I am just a nice guy who enjoys meeting people and likes to share this beautiful place. People are truly amazing and everyone has a story to tell - KARMA.
I love travelling, nature and the outdoors, which is why I love living here. I regularly go bike, swimm, sail, windsurf, paraglide or kayak - especially when there are dolphins in the bay. To see some videos, search in YouTube for "DOLPHINS TIRIMOANA". ... how lucky I am that I found this place and am able to live here :-)
I moved from The Netherlands to New Zealand in 2005 . I speak 3 languages; English, German & Dutch. Free flying is my life passion. Paragliding above the Marlborough Sounds is truly an amazing experience :-) For paragliding videos, search in YouTube for "PARAGLIDE - TIRIMOANA".
I enjoy taking guests out sailing on the Queen Charlotte Sound. It's a great way to show you the beauty of the Sounds and a great way to get to know each other. Just come and enjoy the moment, enjoy "The Power of Now" :-)