Nestled on the peaceful fellside of Loughrigg, Tarn House is a four-star Visit England-rated lovingly restored cottage at the gateway to the Langdale valleys offering cosy, stylish and well-equipped self-catering accommodation. LCD TVs, DVDs, Netflix, fibre wi-fi.
Tarn House forms the private wing of a Victorian gentleman’s residence, built in the 19th century by the owner of the Elterwater Gunpowder Works. The cottage – rated four star by VisitEngland – features two secluded patio areas, ample parking and a large private fellside garden with panoramic views of the Coniston fells and Langdale Pikes.
Tarn House provides stylish, well-equipped self-catering accommodation for families and groups of any size up to eight people.
Period features including parquet flooring, Victorian tiling and inglenook fireplace combine with large-screen LCD TVs, DVDs, Netflix (Roku player), freesat and super-fast fibre wi-fi to give you a comfortable and well-equipped Lakeland holiday at any time of year.
– Period Victorian property in a peaceful countryside setting - roe deer, red squirrels and owls all seen and heard in the garden
– Central location within the national park – 5 minutes from Ambleside, 5 minutes from Elterwater, 10 minutes from Hawkshead, 15 minutes from Great Langdale, 15 minutes from Coniston, 20 minutes from Ullswater
– 4-star quality rated by VisitEngland for the sixth year running
– 4 double bedrooms – sleeping accommodation arranged over two floors each with its own bathroom – ideal for two groups or two generations sharing the house, as well as larger groups and families… Bedrooms 1-3 have double beds. Bedroom 4 can be set up as superking or twins.
– …Also ideal for smaller families and groups – you could use just one sleeping floor if you wish, or spread yourselves out!
– Kids love Tarn House! Families and children welcome – cot/high chairs/fireguard/stairgates plus Netflix Kids package and plenty of toys and books provided
– Bathrooms with always-hot power-showers and extra-deep Victorian cast-iron baths
– Two towels and luxury 100% Egyptian cotton linen provided for each guest
– Secluded private fellside garden with far-reaching views; the perfect breakfast spot or take the BBQ out on summer evenings… Lower patio receives wi-fi: catch up on work in the suntrap...
– Pub and restaurant within 1/2 mile walk
– Private parking for three cars
– Large fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave
– Large wood-burning stove and supply of fuel
– Central heating throughout
– Heating, electrics, fire wood, towels and Egyptian cotton linen all included in price
– No smoking, no pets
– We buy all electricity from Good Energy - supplying 100% of our power from renewable sources.
*** Tarn is a very popular holiday cottage with many guests we're pleased to welcome back every year. As a consequence, please note that in peak and high season we can only offer stays of 7 nights or more. In mid season we sometimes offer shorter stays of 4 nights or more. In low season we very occasionally offer three night breaks – feel free to enquire. ***
Accès des voyageurs
Guests have access to all of the facilities at Tarn House, including the large private fellside garden (with BBQ, swing, picnic tables, wild area and large grass space) and the outdoors patio.
Échanges avec les voyageurs
Tarn House will be yours for the duration of your stay and enjoy in complete privacy. I am, however, available to answer any questions about the cottage and the area – and give recommendations on anything from great walks from the cottage to places to eat. I live locally so can pop round if you have any questions, and am available to take calls or emails 8am-10pm every day. The folder in the cottage contains 20+ pages of local advice from myself and Tarn House guests.
Tarn House is a much loved holiday home. All we ask is you enjoy it – and treat it – as such.