Heaven in the Oaks
An attractive, ultra-romantic, almost-a-cottage Bed&Breakfast is waiting for you in our restored 1930s-era vacation home just outside celebrated Healdsburg. We consider our B&B as a destination in itself for those who want to take full advantage of the delights of the Healdsburg-area Wine Country while at the same time luxuriating in the woodsy serenity of a secluded corner of northern Sonoma County—the historic Fitch Mountain district--and enjoying its recreational opportunities. Not least, it is the IDEAL place to celebrate that special occasion or birthday, and we can help you do that… (We are rated the “#1 Airbnb Rental in Healdsburg,” out of 100: (Website hidden by Airbnb)
At Heaven in the Oaks, you can relax in your own private, quiet patio--your own secluded retreat: from your room you can see nothing but trees. You can take a walk or jog through the oaks and redwoods--a great path to the 173-acre Fitch Mountain Nature Preserve (called “Healdsburg’s Jewel”) actually starts right outside your front door. You can swim/kayak in the Russian River (5 minutes below your patio)… or drive/Lyft/Uber to Healdsburg’s historic, colorful Plaza, shops, restaurants, & tasting rooms. Now, to be clear, don’t expect to be “right on the Plaza”; we’re a beautiful oasis in the country. But the Healdsburg Plaza is just a quick 3.1-mile, 9-minute drive--honest! (Sure, Fitch Mountain Road is a bit narrow and curvy in places--it hugs the river--, but drive slowly and enjoy its “vacation-cottage charm.”)
We have only one guest room--and it really is almost a separate, private cottage (attached to the house, but totally insulated from it: a 200 sq.ft room + bathroom & 200 sq.ft. patio), with its own private entry and parking. Our objective is to give you an enjoyable stay, right from the moment you check in. And we’re “on-site hosts”--ready to give you whatever you need.
When you arrive, you will be greeted with a glass of wine (do you like red, rosé, or white?) and an array of tasty snacks. But wait!--that is just the beginning. Being the ONLY TRUE B&B in the Healdsburg area, we serve you a bounteous, gourmet, home-made breakfast (we invite you to factor this breakfast-for-two into the price of a stay here), with a lengthy menu of delicious selections, and a choice of times (crack of dawn or sleep in?), delivered to your door. Enjoy morning-fresh eggs from our four hens, Samantha, Charlotte, Miranda, and Carrie (when cooperating). Our guests love our unique offerings! As one guest wrote: "I didn’t have to get dressed to go out or to a common dining room. I stayed in my room, no make-up, hair in a mess and in my pj's! They brought me what I wanted, when I wanted it, hot and fresh to my door.” Another said that she felt she was a princess being pampered. Even if you’re not a princess, we want you to feel special.
The photos we have posted on this site will give you an exact picture of your room, and we recommend looking at them carefully. You will enjoy:
● A cozy, light-filled sitting room-bedroom with
• gorgeous, spacious armoire • elegant furnishings & bamboo hardwood floor • writing table and comfortable chairs • queen-size bed • private patio • two windows overlooking a wooded creek & canyon (where you may see our deer “family” placidly grazing just a few feet below your window) • electric fireplace • ceiling fan & air-conditioner • other amenities, including mini-fridge, microwave oven, single-shot tea- and coffee-maker, large-screen TV, “legacy” DVD player + DVDs, total picnic needs for the river, iron & board, robes & slippers, free, secure Wi-fi internet, and… paintings by Kathryn. (Please note that it is a room not a suite! There is plenty of room for two suitcases, but guests with 3 or more may find it tight. No need to put anything in the car trunk, though: we’ll be glad to store anything you want--suitcases, wine (we promise not to open your wine bottles), etc.).
● Totally private, connecting bathroom with large, just-installed walk-in shower, towel-warmer, heater, etc. Mosaic floor by Kathryn, of course.
● Reserved parking spot right in front—large & all for you--& private front entrance
● French doors opening onto a walled, flower-filled private patio, with gate and complete privacy, for dining and relaxing, with a transparent roof over the table against the rain and a radiant gas heater for alfresco breakfasts on chilly mornings. Like your room, it’s filled with art by Kathryn: mosaic stepping stones, mirrors & frames… And oh, the starry sky above (moon & clouds permitting)! And you’ll enjoy “our own” chickadees (bathing in the fountain), hummingbirds (in the Abutilon bush), and Steller’s jays (waiting to taste your breakfast).
What we offer makes Heaven on the Oaks a true destination in itself!
And we love guests who are looking for just such a place!
• Single or couple only
• PLEASE: no children over one year old, pets,
• No smoking, even of our locally-grown product, please (either inside or on the patio)
• In 2018, a TWO-NIGHT MINIMUM STAY applies to SOME WEEKENDS
—so please check the calendar when considering a booking!
• Electric vehicles: We LOVE seeing electric cars, but if you’re going to charge them here,
we reluctantly have to ask for an extra $10 per day (cash or check), the cost we are billed.
• So sorry, but the County of Sonoma charges 12% TOT (Transient Occupancy Tax), already included in your quoted price, and requires Airbnb to charge you that amount, which Airbnb then remits directly to the County.
“… A true find in Healdsburg… “
“… I felt like I was staying in a boutique hotel… “
“… We thoroughly enjoyed sleeping in their guest suite which was the epitome of relaxation. Their beautiful mountain retreat was peaceful and incredibly quiet. Dave & Kathryn were spectacular hosts and I would not hesitate to stay here again….”
“… The accommodations were thoughtfully and artistically designed, with every amenity… “
“… We also wanted to go for wine tasting and guess what? They had everything to plan your wine tasting places in the valley. Maps, lists and a lot of complimentary wine tasting passes…”
“… The home cooked breakfast was delicious and large enough to keep us well fed during hours of wine tasting. We'll definitely recommend this little gem to our friends and family!... “
Ours is a quiet rural road nestled in beautiful oaks, redwoods, California bay, and buckeye trees near the bottom of Fitch Mountain, some 100’ above the Russian River. Ours was a popular riverside vacation area in the 1920s and 1930s for families from the San Francisco area; many of the houses are converted and enlarged summer homes (like ours, now 2,000 sq.ft.). Fitch Mountain is known for its interesting local history, eclectic building styles, beautiful views, secluded neighborhoods, and friendly spirit.
Step out your door, and a five-minute walk below our B&B is the Russian River, where you can launch your canoe/kayak, or just picnic (we’ll give you a “picnic pack” with everything you’ll need) and watch everyone float by. We can email you complete information on kayaking/canoeing opportunities and rental services.
Or head up our road: it quickly becomes a popular walking and biking path right in the midst of the forest, and it continues on an easy ascent to the top of Fitch Mountain (all 981 feet of it!), currently being developed as a nature preserve. This is paradise for walkers, hikers, joggers, and cyclists. Nearby, and stretching to the coast, are a host of city, county, and state parks of every size and description. We can email you complete information on popular walking trails--including a fascinating one to the Healdsburg Ridge Park, which you can access from your room. And we can send you full information.
We can also send you a list of local bicycle rental shops and what they each offer. Just ask.
Healdsburg is a destination--rated #2 in the Smithsonian Magazine's "Top 20 Towns to Visit in 2014" & #1 in CitiesJournal’s April 2014 “Top 15 Small Cities in California,” with its famous Plaza--voted among the 10 best in the U.S.-and world-class shopping, restaurants, and winery tasting rooms.
Wine-tasting is just minutes away. You might start with a few of Healdsburg’s 34 tasting-rooms right downtown, or just head for the wineries themselves. Among the winery-filled areas, in 8 to 30 minutes you will be at famous wineries in Dry Creek Valley, Alexander Valley, Russian River Valley, Chalk Hill, and Sonoma Valley. We are truly in the heart of the Sonoma County Wine Country! In your room you’ll find full information, plus maps and free tasting passes to over 30 wineries. Kathryn owned her own winery, and Dave worked 30 years in the Napa-Sonoma wine industry (he now works in the Italian wine industry), and we will be happy to share our knowledge with you. We can email you our own winery visit recommendations, organized into 10 “admittedly-subjective” categories!
And more. You might want to head into downtown Healdsburg for a great meal in one of our many prized restaurants (the list we sent you!). Healdsburg and nearby towns boast rich programs of year-round wine events (every month!); jazz and musical events; art galleries and shows; famous running and cycling competitions (e.g., Amgen race and Grand Fondo, and the Fitch Mountain foot race); river races and festivals; craft beer shows (Sonoma County has 22 craft brewers), Farmers Market (Saturday mornings, 9-12; Wednesdays, 4-6pm, May-Nov); and a multitude of farms that supply the best restaurants in Northern California. Healdsburg’s public golf course is 5 minutes down the road. We will provide you with lots of maps & tourism materials.
We are an hour and a half from San Francisco airport (bus service to Healdsburg) and 15 minutes from the Santa Rosa airport.
We look forward to hosting you!
Kathryn and Dave Henderson