5 personnes du coin recommandent ·
Conseils des habitants
Mersea Island is great for Seafood restaurants, Beaches,Nature Walks, Bird Watching,Kite Flying, Gift Shops.
One of the most beautiful islands I have ever seen. Stunning to visit in the summer with local beaches and also taking a walk round the small town and crabbing is a must.
25 minutes drive brings you across the Strood, which floods at high tide, taking you to the Essex Island of Mersea. Enjoy the country park on East Mersea or the beach and prom at West Mersea. Here you can hire a fully restored Beach Hut for the day and swim at high, or enjoy the famous Mersea…
Choses uniques à faire à proximité
Logements à proximité
Les gens du coin recommandent aussi
“An extensive menu of wonderful authentic dishes! Suitable to eat-in or to pick-up a delicious takeaway.”
- 3 personnes du coin recommandent
“An amazing place to dine, if you can get in. Very popular, with take-away seafood platters an option if busy. Recommended.”
- 7 personnes du coin recommandent
“Hatfield Forest is a rare surviving example of a medieval royal hunting Forest, with over 1,000 acres of coppices and wood pasture. It has a rich and varied history stretching back over 2000 years through to the present day. Early History The Roman road, Stane Street, going towards Colchester, runs along the present northern border of the Forest. The Forest contains Portingbury Hills, a ditched enclosure in Beggarshall Coppice, shown on maps as an ancient monument. It was thought to have been an Iron Age settlement, but is now believed more likely to be of medieval origin. Early Medieval History Immediately prior to the Norman Conquest, in 1066, Hatfield Forest was owned by the King, Harold, and passed to William, after his victory. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The royal hunting Forest was created by Henry I around 1100 - royal hunting rights remained until 1446. “Forest” defined an area where deer were kept for hunting, and a special law, Forest Law, applied. The word was introduced by the Norman rulers of England as a legal term denoting an uncultivated area legally set aside for hunting by feudal nobility. It did not mean a forest as we might understand today, with densely planted trees. Trees were merely co-incidental, subsidary to the main purpose of hunting. Fallow deer, originally from Sicily, were introduced. The Medieval period Ownership passed through a succession of owners, including Robert the Bruce, the Dukes of Buckingham, the Rich family, the Parkers and the Turnors. This was a period of disputes between parties who held rights to different parts and aspects of the Forest. A rabbit warren was established, to provide an important source of meat. Remains of the Warren can still be seen. The Georgian period In 1729, the Houblon family bought the Hallingbury estate, including Hatfield Forest, for their heir, Jacob Houblon III. Following the fashion of the period, the family set about developping a detached pleasure ground in the central area, notably creating a lake, building the Shell House and planting exotic specimen trees. The renowned landscape designer Lancelot Capability Brown provided a plan for modifying the original lake. The Forest was treated by the family as an extension to Hallingbury Place and they would ride out to enjoy picnics in the Shell House and dance by the lake. The Victorian period During the 19th century, ownership of the whole area of the Forest and outstanding mineral and timber rights were consolidated. Under the benign stewardship of John Archer Houblon, the Forest was drained, and protected from conversion to agricultural use, a fate awaiting adjacent forest areas in Hainault and Epping. The Forest is bequeathed to the National Trust In 1923, the Hallingbury estate was broken up and sold off at auction. Hatfield Forest was sold to a timber merchant and he began to fell standard oaks. The Forest was however saved from further destruction by the intervention of the pioneering conservationist Edward North Buxton. He was able to begin the purchase of the Forest. He died before this was finished. The process was however completed by his family and, following his wishes, they bequeathed the Forest to the National Trust. It was opened to the public in May 1924. World War II During World War II, Elgins Coppice was used as a storage area for ammunitions for use at nearby airfields, including Stansted. The foundations of several huts can still be seen from the road, poking out through the fallen leaves. ”
- 19 personnes du coin recommandent
“Hedingham Castle, in the village of Castle Hedingham, Essex, is arguably the best preserved Norman keep in England. The castle fortifications and outbuildings were built around 1100, and the keep around 1140. However, the keep is the only major medieval structure that has survived, albeit less two turrets.”
- 6 personnes du coin recommandent